Monday, October 29, 2007

Submitted post to Dr. Maurice's blog

JSMD,

I think if you will go back and read my post you will find that I said that the statistics show that as many as 10% of the physicians are involved in sexual misconduct (or words to that affect). I personally consider “sexual misconduct” in the medical situation to be criminal which is why I contend that it is an assault. The Webster dictionary definition of assault is: “a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact”. I refuse to apologize to anyone for my feelings of what is assault and what is not. That is my privilege as you have the privilege of believing that physicians have the right to touch women in any context and manner they desire.

Another point that needs to be made here, the statistics that have been collected by research groups regarding this very issue are the ones I have used, not ones I have pulled out of thin air. The Vanderbilt study for example.

Anonymous on October 29th, do a Google search using the words, doctor, sex, physician, sexual, fondling, misconduct, nurse etc. The best results seem to be with two word combinations such as “doctor misconduct” to limit the search results to more manageable numbers. I think you will be surprised at what you find.

JSMD, snide comments about my beliefs and comments are not going to change the facts. The medical community is in need of reform. Patient modesty, male or female, is more important than the rights of an individual wanting to work in a field that will allow them to see and touch a member of the opposite sex unclothed.

No comments: