Monday, October 29, 2007

Stirring the mud

The response I have gotten on Dr. Maurice’s blog is interesting. It caused such uproar that Dr. Maurice took advantage of his busy schedule to not publish posts for the weekend. I think that was a wise move on his part.

I wonder why the upset over what I have said. Most of what I have said in my responses has been said at one time or another on Dr. Maurice’s blogs. Is it that some people are finally starting to see that the medical community is going to be called to account? That non-medical people (as the people on Dr. Maurice’s blog believe me to be) are not going to quietly go away?

It is important that individuals who are aching for their modesty issues in medical settings to be taken seriously stand up and take action. Visit with your doctor about your modesty concerns and insist that those concerns be addressed. Talk to as many people as you know about the need for respect for patient modesty in medical settings. Post on blogs such as this one or on Dr. Maurice’s blogs. Share these websites with your medical providers and others.

I am encouraged by Dr. Maurice’s blog and the reason he started it. He wants to make others in the medical field aware of the need for patient modesty. It seems to me that Dr. Maurice is fighting a battle over this very topic as his blog has many examples of self-acclaimed doctors stating that they do not need to make changes and refusing to believe the statistical numbers that researchers are repeatedly finding.

My husband tells me that I like stirring the mud after he reads and approves my posts. I encourage everyone to stir the mud over this issue.

Plain Jane

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a single Christian woman who is still a virgin. I am 28 years old and I have never been to a male gynecologist at all. I am so grateful for the blog you have started. I am so glad that Dr. Bernstein has also started a blog on patient modesty. I am very disappointed in some things I've read about how patients are treated in the medical industry. We are not animals. I could not believe it that one man who had a carpal tunnel surgery had his underpants removed. That was insane. I don't understand why many medical professionals strip people. When I was about 14 or 15 years old, I went to see a male PA because I was sick. He wanted me to change into a paper gown. I said no. He had to listen to my heart through my shirt.

I agree with you Plain Jane completely about spouses needing privacy. I think it is very special for the husband of a woman to be the only man who can see and touch her private parts and for the wife of a man to be the only woman who can see and touch his private parts.

I am against male gynecologists. A Baptist pastor preached against male gynecologists. You can find the article at http://faithfulwordbaptist.org/gynecologists.html. There are not many Christians who have this conviction. I believe that it's a cultural blind spot. I am from North Carolina. As of right now, I have not found anyone in NC who has this conviction. What state are you from?

MR

Plain Jane said...

MR

I live in Texas, I moved here several months ago to live with my husband. I will look at the article that you referenced it will be an interesting read.

Please share this blog and Dr. Maurice's with people you know. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Jane

Anonymous said...

MR,

Thanks for your comments; I applaud your attitude!
I moderate a Yahoo group called How Husbands Feel where I feel you would be an asset:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/howhusbandsfeel/

I think the group would be interested in hearing your convictions and how you have resisted the pressure brought to bear by doctors. If you would like to join (and I hope you do) just mention that you are MR from Plain Jane's blog.

CLW

Anonymous said...

Plain Jane,

I wanted to add something. I have found out that many Christians have never really thought about this issue. I think it is because we are taught that the medical industry can do pretty much everything. But that is not true. I encourage you to also look at a posting I made on a forum that was responded by Leslie Ludy who wrote "When God Writes Your Love Story". You can find it at http://www.authenticgirl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1009.

I am not against medical professionals. But they are not above us morally. They should respect our privacy. For example, I don't care about the gender of the doctor when I go in for strep throat or anything that is not intimate. I have always had a male optometrist and that is not a problem of course because all he does is examine my eyes.

I am sure that you've probably talked to people face to face about this issue. Does it seem like a lot of them have not thought about this issue? I wish that there was a way for me to give you my email address. But I cannot on this blog because it is public and I don't want people to have my email address.

MR

Plain Jane said...

MR

I have not read the links that you have sent yet. I will get them read. I hope to have some free time this weekend.

I have found that many people, not just Christians have considered the issue of modesty and same gender physicians. I know that for myself, although I had considered that option it was difficult to find female physicians when I lived in Wyoming. My husband feels quite strongly about this issue and has introduced me to several different groups and blogs about this topic.

I have talked and will continue to talk to people regarding this issue and hope that the idea of same gender care will be spread.

I am so blessed to have a husband that encourages me to be vocal about topics such as this one.

I eagerly look forward to more of your comments.

Plain Jane

Anonymous said...

Some people have modesty concerns, others are homophobic. Some prefer opposite sex care others same sex care. It is a myth to think women have more choice than men. Women who request female only teams are sedated and then subjected to medical rape. Teams of males from janitors, techs, nurses, docs, all have access to sedated women and sedated women have been raped by everyone from janitors to surgeons. So, while I agree ALL patients modesty should be respected. It is a case of endangerment the way women are treated when sedated.